The 5 Paths of Detoxification
You want to know one of the most miraculous things about your body?
You encounter crazy toxins and chemicals every day, but the human body has built-in mechanisms that help you detoxify them before they have a chance to damage your health.
If you ask me, that's pretty cool.
Just because we can’t avoid exposure to all environmental pollutants doesn’t mean they need to harm our health. We just need to make sure our body’s natural detoxification systems are working at peak performance.
Let’s review the 5 ways your body detoxifies EVERY DAY...
- Skin. In addition to being the largest organ of your body, your skin is also an excellent outlet for your body to eliminate toxins. You can actually eliminate some toxins through sweat that are difficult to eliminate otherwise. So, it makes sense why both working out and utilizing the sauna are great for your health.
- Lungs. A lot of people fail to realize that breathing can also help the body cleanse itself. Deep breathing exercises, yoga, and exercise are great ways to detoxify through the lungs. Bonus for breathing in fresh forest or beachy air.
- Liver. Your liver plays a central role in your body's detoxification processes. Hundreds of enzymes work day and night to neutralize harmful toxins and convert them into forms that you can easily eliminate through the kidneys or bowels. The liver executes so many biochemical pathways that depend on vitamins and nutrients. Nutrition is key to supporting liver function.
- Bowels. Your bowels don’t only eliminate fiber and bits of undigested food. They also eliminate toxins that have been processed by the liver and prepared for disposal from the body. To detoxify the body, it is imperative to have regular bowel movements every day. Eating more fiber and drinking plenty of water can help
- Kidneys. Whereas some toxins tend to be eliminated from the bowels, others are eliminated through urination. This is why it’s so important to stay hydrated. Drink at least half your body weight in ounces of water (and more if living at a high altitude or exercising).
There you have it! Five cheers for your body's miraculous abilities to detoxify.
Need some extra support when it comes to your health? Book a virtual wellness consultation with me here.
These sessions provide a complete assessment of your health so that I can provide you with concrete steps you can take to feel better NOW.
Dr. Marissa Castello